You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Luckily, the Instructional Technology Lab (ITL) can help you make a great first impression that sets a positive attitude in your students’ minds for the rest of the semester. The best part: it can be done with little effort.
- Add color to your site – This is as simple as choosing a theme to make your content more appealing.
- Create a welcome message – An entry page that explains where to find things can make a big difference in your students’ perception. Make it inviting and visually rich to create just the right environment as your students explore the course site for the first time.
- Add a banner to your entry page – You don’t need to be a graphic designer, something simple will work. All you need is a background color, a small accent, and nice font to write your course title and your name.
- Provide a first activity – A first assignment or activity will engage your students from day one. Make it meaningful and easy to accomplish.
- Organize your course content – Use folders or learning modules to organize the readings, lectures, quizzes, and other learning activities per week or per lesson. The key is to label your documents clearly so all course content is consistent and easy to find.
Watch this short video to learn how your course could look like with these easy ideas.
If you have never used Blackboard Learn before, you still can benefit from using the course shell that is automatically created for each course at UIC. Learn more about how to start using Blackboard Learn here.
For more information on how to make a great first impression using Blackboard in your classes, contact email@example.com.